The Northwestern McGaw Family Medicine Residency at Delnor strives to promote an educational environment of excellence that will train family physicians to provide evidence-based, patient-centered care.
About the Program
Learn more about the Northwestern McGaw Family Medicine Residency at Delnor. Meet the director, residents, and get a tour of the facilities and area.
We have AMAZING faculty here at Delnor! Our clinical interests are diverse and span the entire scope of family medicine.
- Delnor faculty are dog people. We average 1.2 dogs per faculty member.
- 3/5 of the Delnor faculty have kids. 100% of the faculty children are boys and each faculty member that has children (or will have) has two boys. The residents + Susie only have girls.
- 2 of the 5 faculty were born outside the country and 2 of the 5 faculty are fluent in another language but it’s not necessarily the same 2 faculty.
- The faculty in our developing program have over 20 years of combined academic teaching experience.
Brunch holds a special place in our hearts at Delnor. Dr. Hale summed it up best when he said “Hands down—Buttermilk!” and 14 of the rest of us agree with Buttermilk as our top pick!
Tacos are a clear favorite for lunch. Inpatient team leans towards Taco Madre (which is within walking distance per Dr. Chmielewski), but if clinical education and experience hours are over, we also like to sit outside on the patio at Bien Trucha.
The program director is not the only one in this residency with a sweet tooth. We are equally split on the best dessert in the TriCities: Graham’s vs. All Chocolate Kitchen (ACK). They are both great, and really, located within a block of each other, you couldn’t go wrong with either one.
Geneva is located along the Fox River and includes 50 parks over 700 acres, including 25 miles of bike trails along portions of the Fox River. The trails along the river are great for walking and jogging. We also have a walking path that runs right behind clinic and goes around the lake, which houses our resident swans. Dr. Jadidi says “It is a nice little dose of fresh air when I am lucky enough to fit it into my days.”
So, my residents have encouraged me to post a few of my interview pet peeves from a program director’s viewpoint:
- Professional photos = no selfies
- Know that your interview starts at first contact
- Personal statements: Yes, I read them ALL, but if the instructions say one page (which I cannot verify), I do not read beyond one page
- Answer the question asked, not the question you want to answer
- On October 25, 1960 JFK spoke in front of the Kane County Court House in Geveva. He said, “but if you hold the view which I hold, that this is a dangerous time, that this is a time of challenge and opportunity, that this is a time that requires the best of us.”
- Mary Todd Lincoln had a short stay at Bellevue Place in Batavia in 1875.
- There are three Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the TriCities.
Residents work alongside their team members during 12-week sessions over the program’s three years. See a breakdown of the sessions and learn more about our curriculum as a whole.
Salary & Benefits
Get information about our resident’s yearly stipends and a full overview of benefits for housestaff at McGaw Medical Center.
Find out how to apply, learn about our interview process and get in touch with our residency coordinator for more information.
Housestaff Training at McGaw
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University offers exceptional training experiences at nationally ranked hospitals and fosters a culture of diversity, innovation and excellence.
Learn more about the benefits of training at a world-class academic medical center in a diverse and vibrant city of Chicago. Further program details, including the Department of Medicine housestaff manual and a sample training contract, are available on our McGaw Medical Center Graduate Education site.
Get to Know Us
Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital (Geneva)Our primary residency site is a 159-bed, acute-care facility with a medical staff of nearly 600 physicians from 80 medical specialties providing comprehensive medical care.
Family Medicine Practice at DelnorOur clinic is located on the Delnor campus, adjacent to the main hospital. The clinic was recently opened in June 2018 and its physicians have varying clinical interests, including women’s health and palliative care.
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital (Winfield)At this hospital, residents will have exposure to specialty clinical services such as pediatrics, behavioral health, neurology and orthopedics.
Physician-Scientist Training & Resources
We offer a wide range of resources, mentorship opportunities and training to help our residents excel as physician-scientists. Explore all of the resources and hear from housestaff who are making research a major part of their career development plans.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are committed to and inspired by a diverse and inclusive work environment. The Department of Family & Community Medicine seeks to attract inquisitive, motivated residents, faculty and staff and is committed to providing them with every opportunity for success.